Richland was organized in 1734. In the early day a large scope of country in the north-west corner of the county, including Richland and Milford, with Quakertown for the centre, was known as the Great Swamp. The origin of the name is not known, but probably because the surface is flat, and before it was cleared and cultivated water
stood upon it at certain seasons of the year.
A feature of interest in the settlement of Richland, is that is was first peopled by English Friends, who located far away from their kindred in the lower section of the county, and who reached their new homes over the route afterward traversed by the Germans who settled Milford. The English preceded the Germans into Richland several years, and while the descendants of the former are quite numerous, those of the latter predominate, and Richland is a German township.
Griffith Jones was probably the first man to own land in Richland. Peter Lester, or Leister, of Leicestershire, England, is thought to have been the first actual settler in Richland.
In 1730 thirty-two of the inhabitants of Rich lands, one-half of whom were
German, petitioned for a road from new meeting-house to the county line near William Thomas's in order to go to Philadelphia by the
Montgomery road. Those names are: Hugh Foulke, John Lester, John Adamson, Arnall Hancocks, John Phillips, George Phillips,, Jr., 2
The only township in Bucks laid out in lines corresponding with the cardinal points of the compass! 3
William Morris, Edward Roberts, Arthur Jones, William Nixon, John Ball, John Edwards, Thomas Roberts, Joshua Richards, William Jamison, Edmund Phillips, Johannes Bleiler, Michael Everhart, Joseph Everhart, Abraham Hill, Johannes Landis, Jacob Klein, John Jacob Klemmer, Jacob Musselman, Jacob Sutar, Peter Cutz, Jacob Drissel, Henry Walp, Samuel Yoder, George Hix, John Jacob Zeits, and Heinrich Ditterly.
A monthly meeting was established in 1742. In 1744 Saucon Friends were granted permission to hold meetings for worship , and Springfield in 1745, Richland being the mother meeting; and in 1746 or 1747, Abraham Griffith, Samuel Thomas and Lewis Lewis, were appointed to assist the Friends of Springfield to select a place for building a meeting-house.
QUAKERTOWN-- It's name is derived from settlements of Friends, or Quakers, who emigrated from Gwynedd to its vicinity, some time about the year 1700; and when a post office was established here, it was then called Quakertown, about 1803. Designated by early settlers the "Great Swamp, or "Great Meadow". Later took the name of Flatland, and subsequently Richland, from the fertile quality of the soil. In the year 1750 a new building was put up for public worship, accommodating Springfield, Haycock, Milford, Rockhill, they had no other place for worship nearer than the Gwynedd meeting in Montgomery, some 20 miles distant. Swamp Mennonite
In 1703 James Logan directed Surveyors Thomas Fairman and David Powell to lay out a tract of 10,000 acres in this territory for the Proprietary, to be called Manor of Richland.
LOTTERY LAND ADJOINING THE MANOR OF RICHLAND 1735|
I have a copy of the map
- Jacob Starner 1790
- Robert Ashton 1746
- Abraham Reezer 1760
- William Bryan 1760
- Nicholas Bock 1773
- Christian Gayman 1769
- Peter Heft 1789
- Jacob Starner 1782
- Stephen Horn 1788
- Solomon Gruber 1789
- Casper Wister 1738
- George McCall 1737
- Peter Meyer 1770
- Christian Puss 1769
- George Emig or Emic 1768
- Michael Smell 1768
- Barbara Rhor 1775
- Barbara Rhor 1774
- Casper Gross 1767
- Solomon Gruber 1767
- Emanuel Burk 1788
- Thomas Kann 1767
- Stephen Horn 1789
- Ebenezer Walker 1789
- Peter Hendrick 1767
RICHLAND CENTER-- By 1860 a town (Quakertown) of considerable size had sprung up around the station (North Pennsylvania Railroad), almost a mile away from the old town, where the post office was still stationed.
In 1867 a petition was signed for a new post office close to the station, it was granted and the old station closed. A counter petition was signed and the old station was reopened under the old name of Quakertown and reinstating Mary J. Ochs as postmistress and the new station was opened November 7, 1867 under the name Richland Centre and appointed Ephraim L. Cope postmaster. 3
Friends Meeting House
The first was erected in 1730. The English Friends predominated early in the village life. The Pennsylvania Germans, began about 1730. About 1742 the Friends opened a school in their meeting house.3
Swamp Mennonite Church
2125 Rosedale Road Quakertown PA 18951 (215) 536-7928
Church: Richland Monthly Meeting of Friends, Authorized Marriages, 1800-1810, Bucks County, PA.
To be born free is an accident; To live free a responsibility; To die free is an obligation.
~ Mrs Hubbard Davis ~