The 250th Anniversary is in 2013.
Here's one story that was recently put in one of Saint John's newsletters. Enjoy!
In 1734, roadways were opened up into the “Milfords” for the migration of German immigrants to the upper reaches of the then Bucks County. Milford Township was incorporated and the founding of a joint church of the “Church People” was formed, although the first written records were not until 1736. The “Church People” as referenced by the English land barrens of the day were the Lutherans and the Reformed Congregations from Germany & Switzerland. They also recognized other German / Swiss sects such as the Mennonites, by their respective names. Before the church was officially deeded to the “Reformed Church” in 1762, both congregations worshipped in a log building at the far end of the present “Great Swamp” Cemetery. That land is now part of Lehigh County – Lower Milford Township.
Did you know how the Reforms received the large tract of land and caused the split of the “Union” church of “Great Swamp” in Milford? The story goes as follows: When the Penn’s in Philadelphia saw that the “Church People” were cultivating the land in the wilderness of Upper Bucks, they decided to grant a large tract of land for their use in worship. A delegation of men from each denomination headed down to the city to get the deed to the land. Elder Eberhardt headed the delegation for the Reforms and Elder Ludwig Scheetz headed the delegation for the Lutherans. Somewhere in the Germantown area outside of the city of Philadelphia, Elder Scheetz and his delegation decided to stop for food and refreshment. Elder Eberhardt remained steadfast and continued on to the city hall to receive the deed.
As Elder Scheetz later entered the city, he passed the Eberhardt delegation which was on its way back with the land grant. “Too late” exclaimed Elder Eberhardt, “The land went to those who remained steadfast in their endeavor.” Elder Scheetz felt bad for losing the grant and gave a ¾ acre parcel to the Lutherans to erect a log church for worship. Thus, we became one of the oldest “Independent” Lutheran congregations in the whole United States! The land was later granted formally by deed to our congregation by David Spinner in 1809. Thus our church has become known as “Scheetz’s Church!”