RESOURCE LINKS

~ TULLYTOWN

Became a Post village in 1829 , an 1817 map shows "Tullytown" - Established 1816

Founded and laid out by Thomas Riche and named Riche-Town. Tullytown from the Tully family.

First postmaster Joseph Hutchinson (Source)

Bucks County Intelligencer Marriages
1-6-1853 LEITCH, Phebe Ann & John E. Randall, both of Tullytown at Morrisville by Elder P.J. Hawk  

Battle's History of Bucks County 1887

  1. Methodism was introduced into Bucks county in 1771 by Captain Webb, of the British army, who preached at Bristol in that year on a journey from New York to Philadelphia. The first class, among whom were several converted on that occasion, was formed at the close of the revolutionary war ; and with a single exception the church at Bristol is the oldest in the state outside of Philadelphia. A place for worship, the first Methodist church building in the county, was erected in 1802. Bensalem was the scene of a camp-meeting in 1803, but it does not appear that its results were immediately apparent. A church was built in 1840, and at the same time another near Newportville, Middletown. The first class at Langhorne was formed in 1806, but the building of a church was not erected until 1829. Societies were formed at Yardley in 182-, at Morrisville in 1840, at Lahaska in 1832, at Lumberville in 1833, at New Hope in 1835, at Doylestown in 1838, at Newtown in 1840, at Emilie in 1858, at Fallsington in 1866, at Quakertown in 1872, at Scottsville in 1867, at Tullytown in 1866, and also at Durham, Richboro, and Penn's Park. There are also a number of African Methodist societies.
  2. Frederick Plummer, the eloquent expositor of the doctrines of Campbell, made a missionary visit to Bucks county in 1831, establishing churches at Tullytown, Carversville, Newtown, and in Tinicum. Among his strongest adherents were Joseph Archambault and Bela Badger; but the prospects of the " Plummerites," or Christians, received a severe check in the death of their leader, and but one organization—that of Tullytown—sustains its existence.
  3. Tullytown and Fallsington are about equal in size and importance. The former is situated near the river, partly in Bristol township. It is a railroad station on the Pennsylvania railroad, comprises about fifty houses, several stores, and the usual industrial features of a country village. Fallsington is an inland village and the radiating point of nine different public roads. No active manufacturing business is carried on except that incident to villages in farming communities. The population is largely composed of retired farmers, and the place has an atmosphere of wealth and culture. Oxford Valley is a small village on the dividing line between Falls and Middletown townships. Tyburn and Wheatsheaf are stations on the Pennsylvania railroad.
  4. The Christian church of Tullytown was organized in 1821 by Frederick Plummer, of Philadelphia, who preached in school-houses and groves. In 1822 the church building now occupied was erected.
  5. Amos Briggs, attorney and ex-judge, residence 1303 North Broad street, Philadelphia, is a native of Bucks county and was born in Penn's Manor, January 22, 1825. His early life was spent on a farm in Penn's Manor and attending school. At the age of 19 he began teaching in Tullytown, Falls township, where he taught for two and a half years, when he came to Philadelphia and began reading law in the office of William R. Dickerson in August, 1846.
  6. John Burton, farmer, P. O. Tullytown, was born August 3, 1829, at Tullytown, Pa., and is a son of Anthony Burton and Mary Headley.
  7. Amos B. Headley, farmer, P. O. Tullytown, is among the descendants of the early pioneers of Bucks county. He was born in Bristol township March 30, 1842, and is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Brown) Headley, who were natives of Pennsylvania, and of English origin. His father was a miller by occupation. He built and owned a large saw-mill and was engaged in the lumber business in Bristol township many years. This mill was destroyed by fire and never rebuilt. He at the same time owned the mill now owned by Amos B., which the latter bought in 1868. Thomas Headley is retired from active labor and lives in Bristol borough. Amos B. was the third in a family of four children. He was reared on the farm, attending the public schools at the same time, and also attended college at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Early in life he worked with his father in the mill, and his first business was that of a merchant miller, combined with that of a saw-mill, which occupied him from 18G5 to 1880, since which time he has been engaged in farming. He owns a neat and substantial residence in Tullytown, where he resides. He was married December 10, 1868, to Miss Emma T., daughter of Isaac and Sarah Ann (Hendrickson) Ivins. Her parents were of English origin, and now reside in Bristol borough, her father having retired from business.
  8. S. II. King, farmer, dairyman, and stock-grower, P. O. Tullytown, was born in Bristol township, Bucks county, August 23, 1842, and is a son of James C. and Elizabeth A. (Headley) King, natives of Bristol township and of English origin. His father was a teacher in early life, and later a farmer. His family consisted of nine children, of whom S. H. was the oldest son. He was reared on the farm, and attended school at Millersville. He chose farming as a business, and at present is the owner of the farm where he resides, near Tullytown. It consists of 110 acres of well-improved land. He was married in 1867 to Elizabeth Ann, daughter of Jonathan Milnor. She was born in Bristol borough, and is of English and German origin. Their children are : William, Milnor, Wesley, Kate, and John. Mr. and Mrs. King are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics he is a republican, and has been school-director in his township.
  9. Benjamin Briggs, farmer, P. 0. Tullytown, was born in Penn's Manor, Falls township, September 21, 1826. He is a son of John and Sarah (White) Briggs. His father, a native of New Jersey, and of English descent, spent most of his life in Falls township as a farmer, in which business he achieved a marked success ; and died November 22, 1858. His mother was born in Bucks county and was of Dutch descent. The family consisted of four children : Mary, who died in 1845 ; Amos, attorney-at-law and ex-president judge of Philadelphia ; Benjamin, our subject, and Sarah Ann.

 

Date

Location

First Name

Last Name

Story

Occupation

Location 2

Address

Family Members

1901 12-26

Tullytown

Wesley

Doan

Came home from Trenton for his Christmas Holiday.

 

Trenton

 

 

1901 12-26

Tullytown

Ellwood

Wright

Spent Christmas at the home his father Warner Wright on Main Street.

 

 

Main Street

father Warner Wright

1901 12-26

Tullytown

Dr. C. H.

Read

And family were the guests of Mrs. Birch, of Philadelphia, on Christmas Day.

 

Philadelphia

 

 

1901 12-26

Tullytown

Georgie, Miss

Taylor

The teacher of the grammar school, is spending the holidays at her home in Doylestown.

School Teacher

Doylestown

 

 

1901 12-26

Tullytown

Amos

Lovett

Is still looking for thick ice on the pond early in the season.  About four inches is the greatest thickness reached thus far.

 

 

 

 

1901 12-26

Tullytown

William, Captain

Lovett

Of Tullytown Shad Fishery, will extend this operations next season by taking charge of the other fisheries down the Delaware in addition to the Burton Fishery which he has managed for many years.

Fisherman

 

 

 

1901 12-26

Tullytown

 

 

The Tullytown Castle, Knights of the Golden Eagle, will hold a public installation at Red Men’s Hall on the evening of January eighth, thus presenting to the people of this vicinity an insight into the purposes and aims of the order. The officers to be installed, elected last Wednesday evening, are as follows:

 

 

 

 

Allen, Elizabeth Sutton Died Sept 14,1844, age 13mo, dau of Israel Mary in Tullytown. (Source Bucks Co. Intelligencer).

Page last updated: January 23, 2017

 

 

Genealogy Research
  • The Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis), the state tree of Pennsylvania, is one of the dominant trees of the Commonwealth's forests...
One website can not be all things to all people
- Nancy Janyszeski

"I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that don't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison

Copyright© 1997-2017

Nancy C. Janyszeski All rights reserved.     Information submitted remains, to the extent the laws allows, the property of the submitter who by submitting it agrees that it may be freely copied, but never sold or used in a commercial venture without the knowledge and permission of the rightful owners.   

This website was created as a guide to the history and genealogy of Bucks County Pennsylvania. All efforts have been made to be accurate and to document sources. Some of the material has been contributed and published, with permission, in good faith. All effort has been made to be accurate as possible, and to refer to sources used. If you see an error, please let me know. This website was designed to be informative, a guide to Bucks County history and genealogical research, and hopefully fun. I can't guarantee that all the data is accurate.

Broken Links:  NancyJanyszeski@yahoo.com Bucks County

January 23, 2017January 23, 2017