[Perkasie Olde Towne] [Silverdale School]

Borough erected in 1876 from southwestern East Rockhill Township. The name comes from the Manor of Perkasie.

The Manor of Perkasie was one of William Penn's several manors in Bucks County and contained 11,462 acres. It was part of the present Hilltown and East Rockhill Townships. 3

Page 530
The Proprietary's Manor of Perkasie, containing ten thousand acres, partly in Rockhill township, was surveyed and laid out prior to 1708. A section of the township is still called Perkasie, and a flourishing village of this name has grown up within a few years on the upper part of the manor. The manor lands were opened to purchase and settlement about 1735. About this time Jacob Stout a German immigrant, came into the township and purchased a tract of land in the manor, covering he site of the village of Perkasie. Abraham Stout, a member of the convention of 1790 that framed the state constitution of Pennsylvania , who was born ion the premises in 1740, remembered seeing the Indian boys of the neighborhood shot birds with arrows. Jacob Stout, the first settler, died in 1771, and was buried at Stout's graveyard, on the south-west end of Perkasie. Abraham Stout, the son, died in 1812, and his remains were buried at the same place. Within a few years the large stone barn which Jacob Stout built about 1752 was turned into a sash-factory, but was burned down in the fall of 1875. Before the fire the walls were apparently as sound as when put up. Since then mr. Kramer has erected a large brick building, suitable for carrying on any kind of business. Among the purchasers of manor lands of Richard Penn, in 1776, was John Benner, one hundred and thirty eight acres. The same year Benner conveyed to John Shellenberger, of Hatfield, Montgomery county, which was probably the first coming of the family of this name into this county. In 1779 the property was again sold to Conrad Shellenberger of Rockhill.

Between 1740 and 1750 three brothers and a sister, named Groff, immigrated from Germany to Pennsylvania. Jacob was engaged to a young girl, who came over in the same ship, and they were married on their arrival. Soon afterward he purchased a tract of land in Rockhill, where they settled down and spent their lives. he became the owner of several hundred acres, and Sellersville is built on a portion of this tract. He was the father of four sons, john, Peter, Jacob, and Henry. John bough a farm adjoining his father's, which partly remains in the family, Peter went to Lancaster county, where his descendants are living, John moved down toward the central part of the county, and was, no doubt, the immediate ancestor of the Groffs of New Britain, and Henry, the youngest son, born about 1758, took part of the homestead farm where he lived and died, and at his death left the acres to his children. Part of it remains in the family. Henry was the immediate ancestor of David Groff, of Sellersville, In 1755 a tract of sixty-six and three quarter acres was surveyed to Samuel Iden, on the Tohickon, by virtue of a warrant. 1


bullet Jeremiah Langhorne
bulletJames Logan
bulletW. Allen
bulletJohn Chapman
bulletThomas Hudson
bulletDennis Rotchford
bulletJoseph Kirkbride
bullet History Of the Tohickon Church

Perkasie Manor

The Manor of Perkasie was one of William Penn's several manors in Bucks County and contained 11,462 acres. it was surveyed and laid out by Thomas Fairman about 1708. 2 Back to page 530

Ref: Town and Country Newspaper
Pennsburg, Montgomery County, PA
Saturday - July 15, 1905


Three men spread-eagled in front of the guard tent of the Second Regiment
was the unpleasant sight which greeted the eyes of the visitors to Robert E.
PATTISON Camp, at Perkasie, on Monday morning. The three men were placed under
arrest during the night for being unruly and mutinous. They resisted arrest
and it was only after a severe struggle in which several officers, including
Col. BROCK, assisted, that they were subdued and fastened securely by having
their wrists and ankles tied to tent pegs driven in the ground. They were
released when the police detail went to work and were set to task digging a
ditch, which was needed. One of them, James DUFFY, who seemed to be the ringleader
of the crowd, refused to work, and began to fight the guard. He was taken
back to the guard tent and spread-eagled again, this time with his face to the
ground. The other two, Walter P. DOWING and Charles V. BARRETT, submitted and
worked faithfully until it was time to take them before a summary
court-martial which had been ordered. The three men were tried and found guilty of
mutinous conduct and other infractions of the regulations. They were sentenced to
be dishonorably discharged and to be drummed out of camp. The latter part of
the sentence was carried out on Tuesday afternoon. It was learned that the
three men had enlisted only four weeks before the regiment went into camp. The
trio are wanted in Philadelphia and should have appeared in Court there on
Monay to answer to a charge of assault and battery on an old man who keeps a
grocery store on Ridge avenue. Sunday night was a bad one for the element
which does not like to obey the laws. Chaplain HOYT, of the Sixth, heard that
gambling was going on in the tents where some of the negro cooks sleep. He found
a good big crap game in full operation. There was a pile of money and the
player who had the bones was just crying out "come seben," when the tent flap
was thrown back and the chaplain stood revealed. He ordered the money to be
thrown down. When this had been done the chaplain confiscated the dice box, but
not being posted about the game, neglected to seize the dice. He read the
negroes, a lecture and notified them that a repetion of the offence would result
in their being driven out of camp.



Married Fifty Years

Mr. and Mrs. J. Adam Daubert have joined the ranks of the happily married couples in the Bucks County who havbe been wedded fifty years. They celebrated their golden anniversary; Saturday evening, at their home in Harvey avenue and look as though they might reach the diamond anniversary.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Daubert were born in Germany but came to this country when quite young. Mrs. Daubert (maidenname: Haubert) came to doylestown from New Orleans when her parents succumbed to the yellow fever in an epidemic, and here she met the man who was to be her husband, employed on the Express and Reform, of which paper he was afterward proprietor and editor for a number hears, founding the Mirror which was afterward run in connection with the German paper.
Of the eight children born of this marriage but two survive; Mrs. Otto Gissau, of Philadelphia, and Walter J. Daubert, of Doylestown.





Page last updated:May 28, 2012



Genealogy Research
  • The Eastern Hemlock (Tsuga canadensis), the state tree of Pennsylvania, is one of the dominant trees of the Commonwealth's forests...
One website can not be all things to all people
- Nancy Janyszeski

"I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that don't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison

Copyright© 1997-2017

Nancy C. Janyszeski All rights reserved.     Information submitted remains, to the extent the laws allows, the property of the submitter who by submitting it agrees that it may be freely copied, but never sold or used in a commercial venture without the knowledge and permission of the rightful owners.   

This website was created as a guide to the history and genealogy of Bucks County Pennsylvania. All efforts have been made to be accurate and to document sources. Some of the material has been contributed and published, with permission, in good faith. All effort has been made to be accurate as possible, and to refer to sources used. If you see an error, please let me know. This website was designed to be informative, a guide to Bucks County history and genealogical research, and hopefully fun. I can't guarantee that all the data is accurate.

Broken Links: Bucks County