Doylestown was incorporated as a borough in 1838.
History of Borough -
Doylestown (Towship) was organized in 1818 and situated within a mile of the geographical centre of the county. By an Act of Assembly, passed the 20th of March, 1724, became the county seat in place of Bristol, an honor which it held until 1812, when the courts and public offices were removed to Doylestown, a more central location.
In 1912, one hundred years later the centennial was celebrated by decorating the streets, patriotic flags, and a costume ball, to name just a few of the events. BCHS
Doylestown, the county seat, was first called by this name in 1778.
It is derived the name from William Doyles, who settled there about
1735, and kept a hostelry at the cross-roads as early as 1742. The
earliest inhabitants of the neighborhood were Scotch-Irish. In 1732 a
log church was founded at Deep Run, eight miles north-west of
Doylestown, of which Rev. Francis McHenry was installed pastor in
1738. Doylestown was incorporated as a borough in 1838. A flourishing
boarding school for boys and girls has been established here by a
joint stock company, and also a prosperous female seminary. Newspaper
authority tells us that Doylestown, in 1778, contained but two or
three log dwellings.
Early settlers: Joseph Kirkbride, William Doyle, David Thomas,
William Wells, Thomas Adams, Thomas Morris, John Marks, Hugh Edmund,
Clement Doyles, William Beal, Joseph Burges, Nathaniel West, William
Dungan, Solomon McLean, David Easton, and Edward Doyle, Christian
Wertz, George Stewart, Doctor Meredith, Jacob Thomas, Eli
Vanluvanee (shoemaker). The oldest families of Doylestown,
Harveys, Stewarts, McIntoshes, Vanluvanee, Halls, Magills, and the
DuBoises. In 1820 the population of Doylestown was but 360, and about
500 in 1829. One account tells us the population was 800 in 1830.
According to the census of 1840 the population was 906; 1850, 974
white and 32 colored; 1860, 1,416, and 1,601 in 1870, of which 139
were of foreign birth. The actual population is about 2,000.
The First Baptist church of Doylestown was
organized on the evening of Thursday, December 3, 1867, with
the election of Reverend W.S. Wood as pastor, and two
deacons— Robert Johnson and James D. Scott. There were more
than fifty constituent members, a majority of whom had
formerly been connected with the New Britain church. It was
recognized as a regularly constituted organization January
16, 1868, by a council composed of representatives of seven
different Baptist churches, Dr. George Dana Boardman
delivering the sermon on the occasion; and at the next
meeting of the North Philadelphia Association this church
was formally admitted into the body. The initial step in
building a church was taken January 12, 1867, when a
committee was appointed to purchase a suitable site. Within
two years from that date the proposed building was under
roof; but owing to financial stringency it was not dedicated
until January, 1877. It is a substantial structure, eligibly
located, commodious, well furnished, and involved an
aggregate expenditure of twenty-three thousand dollars. The
successors of Mr. Wood as pastor were: Reverend H.A.
Hastings, John Miller, and T.R. Howlett. The membership
numbers one hundred and seventy-five at present.
Battle History of
Bucks County, page 460